Detail of the sculpture entitled “Viajeros” (travelers), in Laguardia, Álava, Basque Country, Spain. Sculptor: Koko Rico
Alcatraz Island is an island located in the San Francisco Bay, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) offshore from San Francisco, California, United States.
Often referred to as “The Rock” or simply “Traz”, the small island was developed with facilities for a lighthouse, a military fortification, a military prison, and a Federal Bureau of Prisons federal prison until 1963. Beginning in November 1969, the island was occupied for more than 19 months by a group of American Indians from San Francisco, who were part of a wave of Indian activism across the nation, with public protests through the 1970s. Later, in 1972, Alcatraz became a national recreation area and received designation as a National Historic Landmark in 1986.
Remains of the Temple of Juno in the Valle dei Templi in Agrigento, Sicily, southern Italy.
This temple was constructed on a mostly artificial spur. It dates to c. 450 BC, measuring 38.15 x 16.90 m: it is in Doric style, peripteros 6 columns wide by 13 long, preceded by a pronaos and opisthodomos. The basement has four steps.
Current remains (including anastylosis from the 18th Century onwards) consist of the front colonnade with parts of the architrave and of the frieze. Only fragments of the other three sides survive, with few elements of the cella. The building was damaged in the fire of 406 BC and restored in Roman times, with the substitution of clay marble roof tiles with ones and the addition of a steep rise in the area where today can be seen the remains of the altar.
Nearby are arcosolia and other sepultures from Byzantine times, belonging to the late 6th century AD renovation of the Temple of Concordia into a Christian church.
ricardmn canvas prints and ricardmn canvas art for sale – texture canvas prints and texture canvas art for sale – home photographs for sale – decoration canvas prints and decoration canvas art for sale
Cruceiro (stone crucifix) in Combarro, Galicia, Spain.
Cruceiros (stone crosses) are placed at crossroads or near chapels, churches and cemeteries. Castelao said that a stone cross is a “pardon from heaven”, because according to the great Galician writer, stone crosses are built to obtain forgiveness for a sin. Since in Galicia there are around 12,000 stone crosses, our flaws must be many. But it is also said that the stone crosses protect travellers, so for those who journey through these lands their protection is guaranteed.
Combarro is an unmatched example of Galician folk architecture and it’s considered one of the best preserved villages in Galicia. Its remarkable urban cluster was declared set of artistic interest due to its unique charm. It feels like stepping into a magical and genuine Galician folk architecture village. A traditional fishing village where it seems time has stopped and one of the most beautiful and charming of the Galician coast.
Its name come from comb which means hollow, valley, camber of the coast. The village is placed on a crescent-shaped bedrock cambered in its ends by the beaches of Padron and the now missing beach of Chousa.
The old town was built to adapt to the lifestyle of its residents: sailors and farmers. The traveler can contemplate how its more than 30 granaries are aligned on the granite base that shapes the coast and reach the shoreline.
It is in the wall surrounding the old town where these granaries are embedded. Besides this, and due to its singular mix of farming and fishing activities, in Combarro these granaries are used as dryer places for anchovies, sardines and other kind of fish typical of the R�a. That is why these granaries built by the sea are so exceptional in comparison with those typical Galician granaries built to save farmer’s crops. Also, because of the Galician belief of protection, we can find in Combarro many peculiar architectural elements called ‘cruceiros’, located in squares and crossroads.
The Bridge of Mantible (Spanish: Puente Romano de Mantible) is a ruined bridge located near Logroño, Spain. It crosses the Ebro river to connect El Cortijo and Assa.
According to some historians, construction of the bridge began in the first half of the 2nd century, well into Rome’s imperial period. Others suggest that the bridge was built in the 11th century, near the same time in which the Puente La Reina was constructed over the River Arga, and that both were made to join the two most important cities of the Kingdom of Navarre, Nájera and Pamplona.
Neither theory makes clear at what point the bridge became no longer passable, but there are documents that suggest that it had already fully deteriorated by halfway through the 16th century.
The bridge is 164 meters long, 5 meters wide and reaches a maximum height of 30 meters. It was built with seven semicircular arches, only two of which stand relatively intact today. There are only a few remains of the other five arches. The two standing arches serve as an example of the excellent quarry stone used in the bridge.
It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1983.
Alcatraz Island Lighthouse. San Francisco, California. 1909.
Alcatraz Island proved to be a huge obstacle in the busy shipping channel of San Francisco Bay. So much so, that the U.S. Government allocated money to construct a lighthouse on the island. The first tower was constructed in 1852, but the third-order Fresnel lens wouldn’t arrive until 1854. This made it the first lighthouse to be built on the West Coast. This tower would serve until 1906 when it was damaged beyond repair in the 1906 earthquake.
A new tower design was put forth after the earthquake. The new tower would be made out of reinforced concrete and would stand 84′ tall. This would be tall enough to tower above the military prison that was built on the island. In 1934, the military prison was upgraded to a maximum security federal penitentiary. Even though the lighthouse keeper was on the outside of the prison walls, they weren’t entirely safe. A riot broke out in 1946 in which many guards and inmates were killed, however, the lighthouse keepers were fine. The station was automated in 1963 right around the same time as the prison closed.
The tower is still an active aid to navigation and can be spotted from almost any point around San Francisco, Oakland, and the Marin Headlands. The tower is all that remains of the old station. The lighthouse keeper’s dwelling was destroyed by fire in 1969 by Native American protesters.