Headstone and mausoleum in Calton Cemetery (also called Old Calton Burial Ground). It is a graveyard in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located on Calton Hill, to the north-east of the city centre. The burial ground was opened in 1718, and is the resting place of several notable Edinburgh people, including philosopher David Hume, publisher William Blackwood and clergyman Dr Robert Candlish. It is also the site of the Political Martyrs’ Monument, an obelisk erected to the memory of a number of political reformers. The cemetery and its monuments are protected as a category A listed building.